6 Boat Repair Ideas That Can Bring Your Vessel Back to Life
Posted by Chris Savage on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 8:07:00 am
Water and sun are two of the elements that make Miami great. If you own a yacht, you were probably drawn to the ocean to experience both. However, these two forces of nature are also very damaging to your boat. When it starts to look worn, you need to bring your vessel back to its original glory.
1. Yacht paint job - Over time the finish of your yacht can become battered and dull. One of the best ways to restore its shine and sparkle is a fresh coat of paint. While you have it out of the water, you can clear the boat and clean up its hardware. Because you’ll be washing it and de-waxing the boat, you’ll remove all the contaminants and see any damage to the hull that might need repairs.
2. Boat detailing - the sun and salt water are very corrosive to all the parts of your boat. Instead of waiting to need full boat repair in Miami, you should have your boat detailed and deep cleaned regularly. This can include, cleaning, waxing, buffing, and more. Like a car wash, boat detailing is one thing you can do to maintain your yacht for the long haul.
3. Yacht retrofit - a yacht remodel can update your vessel to give it a more modern feel. Just like you might renovate your kitchen as your children grow up, you can improve your yacht by adding electronics or design updates to fit the way you want to live on the water. At Foster’s Yacht Services, we take care of it all, from design to completion, to give you the experience you desire.
4. Fiberglass repairs - Taking care of the fiberglass when it’s damaged keeps your watercraft at the ready. Get yacht repair in Fort Lauderdale when you see even small damages. Don’t wait for bad things to happen when you’re out on the water. Fiberglass repairs can be made in just a few days when the area is smaller, so it pays to take care of this issue quickly.
5. Carpentry services - Marine carpentry is much different than general carpentry on land. When your deck or flooring begins to wear, you need to have a specialty carpenter who understands wood on a boat. These type of boat repairs in Miami can easily give your vessel new life and make it feel warmer and more inviting. You might want to upgrade the cabinetry to add storage to your yacht. We can take care of all of these problems.
6. Prop Speed application - It’s easy to forget to take care of the underside of your yacht, simply because it is unseen. Prop Speed is an application that goes on the underside of your vessel to prevent marine growth. It should be applied annually to keep all types of marine life from attaching itself to your yacht.
We want to help you keep your yacht in good repair in Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Contact us for boat repair and enjoy your yacht all season long.
5 Benefits of Yacht & Boat Detailing
Posted by Chris Savage on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 8:09:00 am
Being out on the ocean is a great feeling, but coming back to land can be a letdown. Your yacht or boat can easily be contaminated by salt water and the sun’s UV rays, which wear away the beautiful finish on the exterior of your vessel. Over time, this can really devalue your yacht or boat. We offer professional boat detailing in Miami, which provides many benefits to you.
5 Advantages of Professional Yacht Detailing
There are probably many more reasons to keep your boat in tip-top shape, but here are five great benefits of boat detailing in Fort Lauderdale:
1. Keeps it looking great
2. Maintains its value
3. Find small damage before it gets worse
4. Frees up your time
5. Makes you want to get out on the water more often
What Does Boat Detailing Include?
Even if your boat is new, you should have it detailed regularly. It’s easy to underestimate the importance of this process. At Foster’s Yacht Services in Fort Lauderdale, we offer boat detailing to keep your yacht looking its best. Although you can take care of some of the regular care, you may want to call in professionals to handle more extensive work:
Cleaning and rinsing is the easiest part. Using a pressure hose, you wash the first layer of grime and salt off the exterior of the yacht. This should be done at least once a month.
Deep cleaning takes care of the stubborn stains that happen over time. Don’t use normal detergent because it could harm the coating. We wash one section at a time, rinsing the soap as we go. If the soap dries on the surface, it damages the coating.
Buffing is done by hand or a rotary buffer. After a deep cleaning, if you still see grime on the surface, the way to remove it is to use a buffer.
The shiny coat on the exterior of the yacht is wax. This coating comes off during buffing, so it needs to be replaced. Many people don’t enjoy this step in detailing because it takes a lot of elbow grease to apply wax to your yacht. • Interior cleaning is also important to the detailing process. You might be surprised at the grime that builds up over time after exposure to the sea air.
When You Need More Than Detailing
During the detailing process, you may find other damage to your yacht’s hull or see small things that need repair. By taking advantage of our yacht detailing services in Miami, we can take care of small hairline cracks or heavy oxidation if it’s discovered during cleaning. Having a clean yacht not only gives you more pride when you take it out, it also encourages you to go out on your boat and enjoy the sea life. You’ll want to take your friends and family on the water every chance you get. Once you’ve invested in a beautiful watercraft, whether it’s a boat or yacht, you need to take care of it so that it lasts for generations and is always there when you’re ready to take a cruise.
Don't Call My Yacht a Boat!
Posted by Chris Savage on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 8:04:00 am
Do you know the difference between a ship, boat, and a yacht? All yachts are boats, but not all boats are yachts. All boats and ships are water vessels, in the same way all toes and fingers are digits. Here’s a primer on boats and ships, and why you wouldn’t call a yacht a boat. When you’re ready to purchase your yacht to enjoy the Miami waterways, come to Foster’s Yacht Services.
Ships and Boats
Ships and boats are water vessels used for commercial, pleasure, or residential purposes. The main difference between the two is the size. A ship is 197-feet or more in length overall, a boat is under 197-feet LOA. Just for comparison, a football field is 300-feet long, so a ship is two-thirds of a football field or larger. The LOA only includes those parts of the hull that are integral to the vessel. Extending the length of the hull with a platform or railing does not change the LOA.
Boat or Yacht?
According to the Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology, a yacht is “any moderately large vessel or conveyance that floats on the water which is used for pleasure.” Typically, a yacht is not a commercial vessel, except what is known as a charter yacht. That is, a yacht with a professional crew that takes the yacht out on the water for pleasure cruises. Although there really isn’t a true measure of LOA when it comes to a yacht, generally, a yacht will be at least 30 feet long. Otherwise, it is usually classified as a please boat. Ships that have been built for pleasure can be classified as yachts, generally with the added term “mega” in megayachts or super yachts. This designator would be apropos for yachts more than 197 feet long. The key difference between a 30-foot boat and yacht is the elegance and expense. Yachts are designed for pleasure cruises, while boats are simply a conveyance on the water. Yacht owners may take offense when you call their vessel a boat, because a yacht is so much more luxurious than just a boat. If you drove a Corvette, and someone called it just a car, you might get upset too. Yachts can be powered by sail or motor. Many of the international races are for specially-designed sailing yachts, and some yachts are now hybrids. It’s not the type of propulsion that dictates whether a boat is a yacht or not. It’s the elegance and use of the vessel. Thus, all yachts are boats. Whether a boat is a yacht or not depends on what you do with it and how much you spent.
Check Out Your Options
Foster’s Yacht Services in Miami offers a full line of yachts for your enjoyment. Come and check out the selection at our marine service center in Fort Lauderdale and see all the options for your pleasure craft. We have repair and painting services to keep your yacht looking its best all year long. Enjoy the water in south Florida any time you want when you have a yacht at your service.
The Best Yacht Services to Keep your Boat in Top Shape
Posted by Chris Savage on Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 9:00:00 am
If you own a yacht, you’re probably aware how important it is to maintain the boat. It is exposed to harsh elements like the sun and the sea whenever you take it out for a spin. While a yacht is designed to withstand these forces to some extent, you still need to maintain it well to ensure that your boat looks and performs well at all times.
For this, you need the services of expert professionals that can provide diversified yacht services. At Foster’s Yacht Services, we offer comprehensive solutions and repairs. Here’s a list of services we offer.
- Marine Carpentry - Marine carpentry is a highly specialized field that requires precision and knowledge. These carpenters create furniture and fittings that can withstand marine environments. While normal carpenters might be more affordable, the marine carpenters will deliver more reliable results. At Fosters, marine carpentry has been a part of our diversified yacht services for a long time. Our carpenters use marine grade materials to create features that are resilient and of very high-quality.
- Fiberglass Boat Repair- It’s not uncommon for the fiberglass hull of a yacht to sometimes get damaged. Fortunately, it’s also quite easy to repair. If the damage is small, the repair doesn’t take much time. You’ll be sailing in a matter of days. However, you need an experienced professional to handle it if you want the repairs to last long without causing problems.
- Yacht Refits and Restorations- Just like your home, your yacht needs restoration and refitting every once in a while. Whether you want to add a new kitchenette or upgrade the electronics, we can handle it for you. We like to ensure that our diversified yacht services are as comprehensive as possible and offer everything from design and material selection, to building and finishing the work.
- Fairing- The exterior finish of your yacht doesn’t just affect its aesthetic beauty, but its performance too. If the finish isn’t smooth and clean, the yacht would look old and dull. The uneven surface would increase drag and friction, affecting the speed and performance of your boat. That’s why you need an expert in fairing, who will ensure that the surface is as smooth as it can possibly be.
- Boat Painting- The visual appeal of the boat depends on its size, design, polish, and paint. If the paint and polish isn’t clean and even, the beauty of your boat would be compromised. The paint also acts as a layer of protection for the vessel. Boat painting is one of our most popular offerings. It has been a part of our diversified yacht services for several years now, and we know the process like the back of our hand.
- Prop Speed Application- When your boat is in the water, it’s exposed to a number of elements that can hamper its performance. One of these elements is marine growth. It will adhere to all the metal surfaces that are under water unless proper protection like Prop Speed is applied. This application should be a part of your boat’s yearly maintenance. Our team has been trained by the Prop Speed staff & goes through upgrade training every year; this ensures their knowledge about application techniques is up to the mark and they do an excellent job.
Other Services Our capable staff ensures the diversified yacht services we offer exceed your expectations on all fronts. We want to ensure that we’re the one-stop shop for all your boat repair and maintenance needs and the range of other services we offer are:
- Tank Pressure Testing
- Marine Interior Refinishing
- Yacht Interior Upgrades
- Interior Design
- Marine Electrical Repair
- Hard Tops and Enclosures
- Fiberglass Hull Extensions
- Aluminum Boat Repair
As you can see, we’ve got almost everything covered. If you don’t find what you need on this list, you can easily get in touch with us. For information on yacht week or about our diversified yacht services, just give us at Foster’s Yacht Services a call at 954 524 9098. You can get in touch with us by filling in this Contact Us form. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you.
Everything You Need to Know About Yacht Week
Posted by Chris Savage on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 4:30:00 pm
If you’re a boating enthusiast, you’ve probably heard of Yacht Week. Even someone who’s not a fan of yachts and traveling via water will have heard of it. This event tends to draw a lot of attention, and people from all over the world want to participate in it; it’s an entire week of fun and boating. Several of our clients here at Foster’s Yacht Services have expressed their desire to participate in this event. They usually hand their boats over to us for yacht repair while they head towards exotic destinations for the week.
What is Yacht Week?
Yacht Week is a week-long fun fest. You can go to different, exotic locations, enjoy local cuisine, and get access to exclusive events. It’s a good idea to take a group of friends along with you so that you have familiar people to have a blast with. However, you can easily go alone. Yacht Week is very popular and most yachts easily fill up with like-minded people.
Whether you go alone or in a group, you’re bound to have plenty of fun. It’s just a week to be carefree in and enjoy the sea. Every day, you’ll wake up to new scenery and explore a different port. Sometimes, you catch glimpses of places you’ve only seen in movies. It’s an experience of a lifetime.
For people in Florida, The British Virgin Islands are the closest destination for Yacht Week. Even though that might seem like a small destination, you can visit a number of different places here. Usually, every day is spent by a different port. Here are some of the destinations and the ports you will visit:
- The British Virgin Islands – As we mentioned before the BVL is the closest destination for Americans. The ports you’ll visit are Marina Cay, Anegada, Virgin Gorda, Normal Islands, Tortola, Peter Island, and Jost Van Dyke.
- Croatia – This is the most popular destination and is often called the Home of the Yacht Week. The beautiful places you’ll visit are Regatta Day, Split, Hvar, Natural Bay, Vis, and Komiza.
- Greece – This is the Saronic Route and also very popular. You get to explore this ancient place and sample some excellent Greek food. You’ll visit Hydra, Poros, Ermioni, Dhokos, Porto Heli, and Alimos or Lavrio. This is definitely a place where you can party hard and enjoy the beautiful morning sunrise as well.
- Turkey – Known as the Turquoise Route, Turkey is a destination for those with an adventurous spirit. The places you will visit are Sarsala, Fethiye, Ciftlik, Ekincik, Gemiler Adasi, Gocek, and Marmaris.
- Italy – Who doesn’t love Italy? The Aeolian Route is also very popular, especially because of the Italian food and wine. You will visit Lipari, Panarea, Portorosa - Vulcano, and Stromboli.
- Thailand – If you want to truly experience an exotic destination, Thailand should be your pick. The Thai Route would take you to Phuket, Khai Islands, Maprao Islands, Krabi, Railay, Koh Mukh and Koh Lanta, and Phi Phi. This is the second most popular destination for people who do the Yacht Week.
- Ultra Europe – This is a two week event and takes you to the most vibrant musical event you’ll ever experience. The destination is Croatia and the places you’ll visit are Vis, Regatta Day, Split, Hvar, Natural Bay, and Komiza.
For Boaters and Inexperienced People Alike
If you’re just getting into boating and are planning to buy a yacht, the Yacht Week experience will help. Each yacht has an experienced skipper and fantastic crew. They will take the time to teach you the basics of boating and tell you about essential maintenance and yacht repair that you might need to do.
They might also teach you how to handle the boat and different conditions in the sea. The entire experience will show you just how wonderful boating is and it’s worth every penny you spend on it.
For information on yacht week or about our yacht repair services, just give us at Foster’s Yacht Services a call at 954 524 9098. You can get in touch with us by filling in this Contact Us form. You can also email us at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.