Consider These 3 Things When Hiring Yacht Services
Posted by Chris Savage on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 7:05:00 am
Have you ever dreamed of yachting across the crystal clear waters of a world-famous yachting destination or hopping from island to island on a yachting adventure? If you are like most people, you have had this dream at least once. When it comes to reality, however, you do not necessarily have the funds or the capability to purchase and drive a yacht.
This is why yacht services exist. Yacht charters can take you to any number of destinations around the world, depending on the course you choose. While they are nowhere near as expensive as buying your own yacht and stocking it for a trip, they can still come at a price. Follow these 3 guidelines when choosing a yacht charter to have the best experience- for your vacation and your wallet.
#1: Choose Your Charter Broker Carefully
Most people know that when they are traveling, it is easiest to work with a travel agent, few know that a yacht broker is the person you should contact when you are looking for yacht services. Yacht brokers go through the details like where the yacht is going, the types of activities on the yacht, how much it is going to cost, and more. When you are choosing a broker, be sure that you ask whether or not they have actually been on the boat and met the crew. Many of them have stepped foot on the boat and met the crew but you may find that some have not done so. Those who have not will usually not be able to provide the best match for your yachting expedition.
#2: Specifics of Your Trip
It is up to the captain of the yacht where you will be stopping and when. This is why it is important that you choose a charter that is making stops in the places where you want to go. For the most part, you will find a charter making some of the best stops and you are going to have a great time. If you plan on being in town for a specific tournament or festival, make sure you mention it to your broker. He or she will be able to find you a charter that is passing through at the time you want to be in the area. Another factor to consider is whether or not entertainment is offered on the boat. Some yachts have things like kayaks, scuba gear, and jet skis on board, while others are minimalist. You will even find some that have small helicopters on board.
#3: The Services that Are Offered
You should ask about the services on the boat in regards to two things- how the crew interacts with the people aboard the ship and what amenities will be offered on the yacht. If you want to have a good time, it is important that you choose a charter boat with a crew that meshes well with your personality. After all, you don’t want to be stuck on a boat with a bunch of stiff people when you are trying to have a good time. Ask your broker if they have met the crew and how they interact with clientele to make sure it will be a good fit.
You should also consider the amenities that are offered. Some yachts have things like an all-you-can-eat buffet or five-course dinners. Others offer room service and food that you must pay for at the end of your excursion. Make sure to ask questions about things like this to be sure you are getting a good match.
There you have it. The top considerations you should make when hiring yacht services. Best of luck and happy vacationing!
Why You Should Never Miss Florida's Yacht Show
Posted by Chris Savage on Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 8:00:00 am
Florida is known as the “Yachting Capital of the World” for good reason. Each year at the yacht show individuals are able to marvel at a variety of boats, as well as exotic cars and brokerage yachts. Along with these attractions, there are several other reasons why you should never miss Florida’s yacht show.
People bring their yachts from around the world just for the show. As such, you have the chance to view many beautiful vessels in person. Some of the boats you might see include:
• sailing yachts
• motor yachts
• high performance boats
• center consoles
• and more
Not only do you get to view the yachts, but you are also able to speak with their owners. As such, you are able to access a great wealth of knowledge and learn intricate details about your favorite vessels.
Within the actual yacht show there are different seminars and expos. Each year the attractions are different, so you can always expect something new and fresh. With the show being so prestigious, you can also expect high-profile guests and speakers to be in attendance and participate. In the past, there have been celebrity speakers who have shared their expertise and even signed autographs.
While you enjoy the adult entertainment, there are also activities and attractions designated for the children. One of the most popular activities is the fishing clinic. The kids get to enjoy learning about their friends in the sea as well as proper fishing techniques. Such activities make the show fun for the entire family.
For those looking to enjoy the lap of luxury during the show, there are VIP options available. There are several great amenities in the package, such as:
• private dining areas with gourmet food
• special showcases • meet-and-greet opportunities
• networking socials
These are just a few of the general amenities, not to mention the perks provided during special events throughout the yacht show.
For those who choose not to spring for the VIP treatment, there are still various amenities of the show that all attendees may enjoy. There are various sponsors and vendors that offer free activities and discounted packages that attendees have access to during the show, and possibly throughout the year.
The Full Experience
All of the aforementioned features culminate into one amazing event. Individuals who attend the full yacht show receive a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Attendees get to experience different types of beautiful and exotic vehicles up close and personal, whereas most people can only speculate about them from pictures they view in magazines. Along with the visual experience, these individuals also get exposed to knowledge about the vessels from experts of the craft. To cap it off, attendees get to enjoy all the sites and activities in beautiful, sunny Florida, surrounded by local attractions, including shops, restaurants, amusement parks and more.
As you can see, there are several exceptional perks to attending Florida’s yacht show. If you are interested in attending, try to plan early so that you may take advantage of all that the event has to offer.
How to Build a Yacht
Posted by Chris Savage on Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 7:00:00 am
Do-it-yourself projects have become extremely popular amongst many groups of people. Not only does it help to save money in some cases, but the satisfaction of knowing that you made a product yourself and the ability to customize various features to fit your needs and liking can be extremely attractive factors. Therefore, many individuals have ventured into DIY land, including those with an affinity for the sea. If you are considering building your own vessel, consider these important factors on how to build a yacht.
Decide Where to Start
There are three main options to choose from when deciding where to start in building your yacht.
1. Refurbish an old boat: If you can find an old boat with a stellar reputation, you could save yourself a great deal of time and money with this option. Along with the main structure of the yacht, you will most likely be able to save much of the interior as well. You will most likely need to replace the engine and rigging and stern gear, amongst other necessary parts, and can replace the instrumentation and electronics to fit your desires. Before making this purchase, it would be wise to have it inspected by your own professional surveyor.
2. Buy a molding: Some manufacturers still sell bare hulls. You might even be lucky enough to find a hull that comes with a deck moulding fitted to it and bulkheads bonded in. Utilizing this method will get you onto a flying start in building your customized yacht.
3. Start from scratch: If you decide to start from scratch it is essential that you have proper boat plans, and possibly enlist the assistance of a yacht designer. You also need to have in mind the materials that you plan to use and have them on hand. You not only want to design the outside of the boat, but you should also pay very close attention to the interior layout and the cockpit, seeing as you will spend the majority of your time in these areas.
Bringing it Together
Once you have decided on what starting point you will go with and have developed proper plans, it is time to get to work. Each part must be created with care. This is especially true in the case of building a yacht from scratch. Every element, from the shed, to the stillage and to the hull, it is critical that the proper material and plans be used. If you are utilizing an already constructed hull or boat, it is still essential that you inspect and correct any issues with the parts that you have acquired. In such cases, a professional yacht servicing company could be quite helpful.
How to build a yacht is quite relative to your desires and abilities. If you have the space, time and expertise, building a boat from scratch could be an excellent idea. It will most likely take the most time and resources, however the product will be one completely customized to your liking. On the other hand, old boats and formulated hulls are also great options that you can tailor to your desires. Either way, at some point it is advisable to seek professional help to make sure that you get the greatest value out of your investment.
How to Become a Yacht Captain
Posted by Chris Savage on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 7:05:00 am
If you have dreams of spending your days at sea, commanding your own vessel those dreams can definitely become a reality. No matter what type of vessel you are looking to captain, there are certain criteria that you must meet. In your endeavors to become a yacht captain, there are five steps that you must take.
1. Get an Education
No matter what type of vessel you seek to captain, you must obtain a high school education, and it is suggested that you also seek your bachelor’s from a Coastal Guard approved academy or college. There are several skills that you should look to obtain in your studies, including:
- mechanical drawing
- engineering systems
- maritime operations and technology
- ship/facility management
- and more
Though many of these skills can be sharpened during your time on a ship, having a firm knowledge base can help you to advance quickly.
2. Gain Experience
In order to obtain your license you must log at least 360 days at sea within the course of five consecutive years. A day at sea is defined as four consecutive hours. Even if you are not directly captaining or assisting the captain, the hours can still count towards your credentialing. If you are captaining a ship under the watch of another yacht captain, you will be required to have the captain sign your application.
3. Submit an Application With Required Material
A captain’s license is formally known as a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC). Along with completing the actual application form, there are a few other pieces of documentation that you must submit to complete your packet.
• log of time at sea
• three notarized letters of recommendation from licensed boat operators
Once you have collected all of these documents you can submit them in person or through the mail to the Regional Exam Center (REC). After your paperwork is received and processed, you will have to undergo a physical exam and background check. Upon successful completion, you then take the written test and pay the application and testing fees. The National Maritime Center will receive and review all of your documents, after which your license will be sent to you.
4. Look for a Job
As with many different careers, you will have to work your way up the ladder. One of the best ways to obtain a job on a ship is through personal connections. You may also search online or contact maritime companies.
5. Continue Your Education
Even after you have secured a position it is critical that you continue your education. It takes a combination of knowledge and skill to become an excellent yacht captain. Also, as new technologies and best practices emerge, it is in your best interest to be abreast of them. Constantly pursuing knowledge through continued education courses and various maritime magazines can help you to stay in the know.
By following these steps you can be well on your way to becoming a captain. As you embark on your pursuits, be sure to make connections that will help you along the way, not only with other captains, but also with ship providers and servicers. Such relationships can help you to not only become but to succeed as a yacht captain.
6 Reasons Why Fosters Yacht Repair Services Are the Best in Florida
Posted by Chris Savage on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 7:00:00 am
The crystal blue seas are calling, but your yacht is in need of repair. There are a number of yacht repair servicers in the area, however not all of them provide exceptional repairs like Foster’s Yacht Services. In fact, here are six reasons why Foster’s provides the best service in Florida.
1. Tailored services Foster’s Yacht Services specializes in a few different areas, including:
- yacht painting
- bottom painting
- fiberglass repair and construction
- marine carpentry
- and more
Not only do we have expert craftsmen handling each project, but we also tailor each service to the specific needs of the client. If at any time you have any questions or concerns, you may contact the project manager that is overseeing your repair. We make sure that you have a direct point of contact to ensure the repairs are completed to your expectations.
2. Track progress With Foster’s you can monitor the progress of your service through your personal website. This site allows you to literally see the progress of your project. You can find pictures and reports on what has been done, any modifications and what is left to do. We find that many customers love this feature because they can see how their project is coming along, which gives them peace of mind, as well as provides an opportunity for them to address any concerns they may have with the project before it becomes a greater issue. Therefore, these websites allow us to ensure customer satisfaction.
3. One-year guarantee We stand behind the quality of the work we do, and to prove it we offer a warrantee on all work that we invoice. We call it our Master Warrantee, and it is good for a full year. Should you have any issues with any yacht repair or other work that we provide, we will fix it and have you back on your maritime way in no time. Though this guarantee is provided it is not often needed due to the caliber of work that we provide. From the beginning we fully detail the plan and our master craftsmen follow it to the letter. This way, our clients always gets exactly what they are expecting.
4. Strong reputation Our reputation precedes us. We are proud to say that we are affiliated with some of the most respected maritime associations, such as: • Marine Industries Association • US Superyacht Association • Florida Yacht Brokers Association, Inc We also have strong relationships with material providers who are at the top of their industries. These relationships show our commitment to excellent yacht repair and service. But you do not have to take our word for it. You can find favorable reviews from our clients on respected customer review sites.
5. Highly skilled team There are intricacies in each type of service, and it takes time, dedication and skill to truly master each part. That is why we have specialist that focus on specific types of repairs and that is all that we have them to focus on. Collectively, our team provides truly expert service, which shows in the exceptional craftsmanship.
6. Competitive Pricing We maintain average rates while providing outstanding service. These factors make us one of the best choices for your yacht repair needs.
As you can see, at Foster’s Yacht Services we work diligently to earn and maintain your business. To learn more, contact us today.